ACWA's Best Practice Unit hosted a two-day Assessing Parental Capacity and Working With Parents Best Practice Forum in April 2018 examining best practice for working with families and issues involved in the assessment of parental capacity. The forum was designed to support ACWA's members in their work under the new Permanency Support Program.
A summary of the two-day event and photos can be found in our wrap-up report.
Listed below are copies of the presentations provided by our forum speakers:
- New Practice Framework for NSW: Kate Alexander (Office of the Senior Practitioner, FACS)
- SSI Seeking Understanding: Cultural Experiences From Migrant and Refugee Families: Kathy Karatasas (SSI)
- Assessing Parenting Capacity: Children's Court Clinic: Janette Buckingham & Seini Afeaki (NSW Children's Court Clinic)
- What Helps Birth Parents and Permanent Carers to Build Positive Relationships?: A/Prof Amy Conley Wright & Dr Susan Collings (Institute of Open Adoption Studies, University of Sydney)
- Learning From the Experiences of Parents with Lived Experience: Jessica Cocks, Teegan Bain & Felicity Kime (Family Inclusion Strategies in the Hunter)
- Learnings from a Churchill Fellowship into Family Inclusion Initiatives in Child Protection and Out-of-Home Care: Jessica Cocks (Life Without Barriers)
- Child Protection and Parental Substance Abuse: A/Prof Stephanie Taplin (Institute of Child Protection Studies, ACU)
- Building Parental Capacity: Dr John McAloon, Jacqui Kemmis-Riggs & Adam Dickes (Clinical Psychology Graduate School of Health, UTS)
- Working with Parents Who Live with Intellectual Disability: Kenn Clift (PwID)
- Attachment Style Interview: Liz Sanders (SAL Consulting)
- The MST-CAN & FFT-CW Alternatives: Richard Bishop, Bridget Lanigan & Kaven Amerasekera (OzChild)
- Family Group Conferencing and Family Finding: Aboriginal Perspectives: Belinda Kendall (Curijo)