ACWA’s Best Practice Unit hosted a two-day Assessing Parental Capacity and Working With Parents Best Practice Forum in April examining best practice for working with families and issues involved in the assessment of parental capacity. The forum was designed to support ACWA's members in their work under the new Permanency Support Program.
A summary of the two-day event and photos can be found in our wrap-up report.
Additional Resources Coming Soon!
Resources will be added once they become available. Check back shortly.
- New Practice Framework for NSW by Kate Alexander (Office of the Senior Practitioner, FACS)
- SSI Seeking Understanding: Cultural Experiences From Migrant and Refugee Families by Kathy Karatasas (SSI)
- Assessing Parenting Capacity: Children's Court Clinic by Janette Buckingham & Seini Afeaki (NSW Children's Court Clinic)
- What Helps Birth Parents and Permanent Carers to Build Positive Relationships? by A/Prof Amy Conley Wright & Dr Susan Collings (Institute of Open Adoption Studies, University of Sydney)
- Learning From the Experiences of Parents with Lived Experience by Jessica Cocks, Teegan Bain & Felicity Kime (Family Inclusion Strategies in the Hunter)
- Learnings from a Churchill Fellowship into Family Inclusion Initiatives in Child Protection and Out-of-Home Care by Jessica Cocks (Life Without Barriers)
- Child Protection and Parental Substance Abuse by A/Prof Stephanie Taplin (Institute of Child Protection Studies, ACU)
- Building Parental Capacity by Dr John McAloon, Jacqui Kemmis-Riggs & Adam Dickes (Clinical Psychology Graduate School of Health, UTS)
- Working with Parents Who Live with Intellectual Disability by Kenn Clift (PwID)
- Attachment Style Interview by Liz Sanders (SAL Consulting)
- The MST-CAN & FFT-CW Alternatives by Richard Bishop, Bridget Lanigan & Kaven Amerasekera (OzChild)
- Family Group Conferencing and Family Finding: Aboriginal Perspectives by Belinda Kendall (Curijo)