ACWA extends our deepest congratulations to the following individuals whose commitment to the needs and rights of children has earned them recognition in this year’s Queen’s Birthday Honours List:
- Barnardos Australia Chair Gabrielle Trainor, named an Officer in the General Division of the Order of Australia (AO) for distinguished service to the community through consultancy roles in transport and infrastructure planning and design, and as a contributor to social welfare, sporting and cultural institutions.
- Emeritus Professor Dorothy Scott, named a Member in the General Division of the Order of Australia (AM) in recognition of her significant service to the community, particularly to child protection and wellbeing, as an advocate for children’s rights reform, and to education.
- CareSouth foster carers Ian and Christine Lofts, recognised with a Medal of the Order of Australia in the General Division (OAM). The Goulburn couple has fostered 380 children in the past 40 years.
- Barnardos Find-A Family Illawarra respite foster carer Wiliam (Bill) Dowson, received a Medal of the Order of Australia in the General Division (OAM).
- NSW Children’s Guardian Kerryn Boland, honoured with a Public Service Medal (PSM) in the Meritorious Division for her outstanding public service to the protection of children in NSW.
ACWA CEO Andrew McCallum has offered his congratulations to the recipients, saying the child and family welfare sector is extremely fortunate to have such extraordinary people who continue to work tirelessly and so selflessly to make society a better, safer place for our children.